- Students in Kindergarten through 8th grade are required to wear Academy uniforms during school hours and while on fieldtrips. Any exceptions must be approved by the principal in advance. Students not complying with the dress code will not be admitted to classes or Academy-sponsored events.
- Students may wear navy blue, black or khaki uniform shorts during August, September, May and June with uniform blouses, dress shirts or polo shirts as required. Shorts are NOT permitted on Mass days.
- Students may NOT use hair color of any kind.
- Students are required to wear school dress shoes which must be conservative in color: black, brown or dark blue. No flashing lights are permitted on shoes. All shoes are to be kept neat and clean. Bulky sport shoes, construction-style boots, hiking boots, shoes with wheels, high heels, sling-backs, slides and sandals are not permitted.
- Sweaters must be proper fitting in solid white, red, navy blue, dark green or black. Only the Academy name or logo may appear on sweaters. Only the approved Academy of St Adalbert polar fleece or sweatshirts are permitted.
- Students are not permitted to have tattoos (including temporary) or body piercings other than pierced ears (maximum of 1 earring per ear) for girls only. Makeup, including lipstick, nail polish, false fingernails, perfume/scented lotion and eye makeup, is not permitted. Clear lip gloss/lip balm is permitted.
For a more specifics see below…
- Boys must wear traditional haircuts. Boys’ hair may not be longer than collar length. Haircuts that are extreme or outlandishly different like the “bowl cut,” the “skater cut,” or similar styles/fads are not acceptable.
- Facial hair is not permitted.
- Boys must wear solid white, navy blue, or black crew socks that go above the ankle.
- Jewelry is limited to the wearing of a wristwatch or a single ring (no thumb rings). Boys are not permitted to wear earrings.
- Shirts must be tucked in at all times.
Kindergarten through 4th Grade
- Pants: Gray, black, navy blue or khaki (tan) school pants that are dress or corduroy (no 5-pocket style). Denims, jeans, baggy pants, pants with oversized pockets, or pants that fit too tightly are not permitted.
- Shirts: Solid red or white polo shirt (short or long sleeved) must be worn. Red or white Academy of St. Adalbert polo shirts may also be worn, but are not required. A solid red or white turtleneck shirt may be worn during cold weather.
Grades 5 through 8
- Pants: Gray, black, navy blue or khaki (tan) school pants that are dress or corduroy (no 5-pocket style). Denims, jeans, baggy pants or pants with oversized pocket, or pants that fit too tightly, are not permitted. Belts for pants are required.
- Shirts: Red or white polo shirt OR a solid white dress shirt with a solid red or burgundy tie must be worn. Red or white Academy of St. Adalbert polo shirts may also be worn, but are not required. Colored or printed T-shirts may not be worn under shirts.
- Girls may wear braids (no Indian beads), only if tied or clipped back away from face, simple hair barrettes and clips.
- Socks must reach mid-calf or higher and be solid white, red, dark green or navy blue. Leotards or tights in the same solid colors may be worn. No panty hose may be worn with the uniform.
- Jewelry is limited to a single neck chain, a wristwatch and a single ring (no thumb rings). Girls can wear up to 1 earring per ear as long as they are in the earlobe and no bigger than a nickel in size. No dangling or large earrings are permitted.
- Shirts/blouses must be tucked in at all times.
Kindergarten through 4th Grade
- Schoolbelles-issued plaid Academy uniform jumper or pants and a solid white uniform style blouse or white polo shirt without lace. During the winter months, girls may wear white turtleneck shirts with their jumpers.
- Fifth grade is a “transitional year”. Girls may wear either a uniform jumper or a uniform skirt.
Grades 6 through 8
- Skirts: Schoolbelles-issued plaid uniform skirt. Skirts must be a modest length, no more than one inch above the knee.
- Slacks: Gray, black, navy blue or khaki (tan) school slacks that are dress or corduroy (no 5-pocket style). Denims, jeans, baggy pants or oversized pockets are not permitted. Slacks are NOT permitted on Mass days.
- Shirts: White Academy of St. Adalbert banded waist knit shirt OR a solid white blouse and red uniform vest.
The administration reserves the right to rule on all questions relating to the areas of dress and grooming not covered by this dress code until such time as this code may be amended or revised.
Physical Education (Gym) Uniforms
- All students must wear a red Academy of St. Adalbert or Blackhawk logo T-shirt or sweatshirt with solid black shorts or sweatpants, socks and gym shoes. Plain red shirts or CYO shirts are not permitted. A student who is not in appropriate uniform will be denied participation in class activity and may be given an alternative written assignment.
- Kindergarten & 1st Grade ONLY may wear gym uniforms during the entire school day instead of regular uniforms on their assigned gym days. Gym shorts may only be worn during the months of August, September, May and June. Black sweatpants are required for all other months. Students who choose to wear their regular uniforms on gym days will be required to change into gym uniforms for gym class.
For special activities (i.e., dances, picnics, etc.), notices will be sent home with specific dress requirements. Students not abiding by the directives will not be permitted to join in the special activity.
Guidelines for Dress Up Days
A dress up day is announced ahead of time for days such as picture day and special masses. If students choose not to dress up, they must wear the regular Academy uniform.
- Dresses, skirts or skorts with hem approximately 1 inch above knee.
- Modest blouse, shirts or sweaters.
- No spaghetti straps (unless shirt underneath or sweater to cover the entire day).
- Loose fitting dress slacks, skorts or dress shorts. (No denims, jeans or jean skirts)
- School shoes with pantyhose, tights or socks required. (No platform shoes, high heels or sandals.)
- Polo shirt or dress shirt or any shirt with collar.
- Any loose fitting dress slacks. Cargo pants permitted if pockets empty. (No denims or jeans.)
- School shoes with socks required.
Guidelines for Dress Down Days
- If students choose not to dress down, they must wear the regular Academy uniform.
- T-shirts, sweaters or sweat shirts with designs appropriate to a Catholic school (No WWE, rock stars or offensive words/images).
- No tank tops or spaghetti straps (unless shirt underneath or sweater to cover the entire day).
- No low cut tops
- No short tops or low-cut pants/shorts exposing midriff.
- Loose fitting jeans, slacks, wind pants, cargo pants (if pockets empty) or shorts.
- No spandex or Lycra pants or shorts permitted.
- Shorts must not be shorter than finger tip when arms hang naturally at the side.
- Athletic shoes with socks.
Guidelines for Church Days
- Students go to church for Mass on Fridays, Holy Days of Obligation and Prayer Services. On these occasions, ALL students must follow the regular dress code with the following exceptions:
- Shorts are NOT permitted on Church Days.
- Hoodie sweatshirts, except for Academy of St. Adalbert sweatshirts, are NOT permitted on Church Days.
- Girls in grades 5-8 MUST wear uniform skirts, blouses and red vests. Slacks are NOT permitted on Church Days.